Sunday 22 April, 2007

A BUOY IN THE SEA…

The vastness of life was compared to the sea as it was unfathomable for anyone to CROSS it or KNOW it. To prevent oneself from drowning while experiencing the sea-one needed THE BUOY. It helps you keep afloat but of course!- not forever. Everybody is after acquiring the buoy- scared to venture into the sea without it. Sadly their lives begin and end at the shores. I sometimes wonder what is important….Acquiring the buoy or living the sea, or both. Isn’t it like a balance between brash risk taking ability and security for oneself to the point of obsession. Moderation…..you cry…I’ll acknowledge.

Looking at everyone around me…I think about what those buoys are that people cling onto for their lives. It’s different for different people but in general ….I think there are four. Financial security, emotional security, spiritual security and lastly immortality through work and passion. We run around like blind humans walking every road to try and acquire each of these. For most today, getting securities is synonymous to having lives. They don’t know what to do after it. The soul purpose of birth seems to have been fulfilled and death awaits and they slowly smell putrid and decompose. These securities are also re-assurances….they think it’ll help them navigate the sea but the forget about the sea- still guarding their buoys. How inconsequential and foolish!!! This frenzy has become so big that today people are gauged by how many buoys they have, NOT from how much of the sea they have traveled, known and enjoyed. Your “status” (pseudo) is judged by the following- wealth, a stable family legacy, followers of man-made righteous religions (god-fearing! –they call it) and how much of a value-addition you are to your field of expertise that you have chosen. ( the value-addition parameter judged by popular opinion.)

This is LIFE to the society at large and I reckon it is here to stay for a while at least till I die. I am not against having something to fall back on if my life fails me but I don’t want it to be the center of my activities. What about the FREE MAN….what is his BUOY?? If man was alone what would he cling to?? I like many seek what I lack- CLARITY OF THOUGHT. If a man has no money, family, religion and is not acknowledged for his work…what would make him happy??...I think it has to be the understanding of the crystal-clear, pure water of the SEA. That would help him live and still enjoy himself. He can see the fish, life, many creatures; fascinating mysteries, stories…etc. the buoy would surface thanks to his creation by the clarity of thought. He’ll know how to live. One does not have to seek the buoys forever. The comprehension of what lies beneath is important. The THOUGHT is the buoy I want to cling onto…..even if it is at the cost of other buoys…even if it is A FIGMENT OF MY IMAGINATION….my life….my sea…I’ll move on….

No comments: